You're Welcome WA
Rottnest Island provides an access and facility-friendly holiday destination for all visitors. With wide pathways, easy to read signage and ramps to most facilities Rottnest Island is easily accessible. There is also plenty of outdoor seating and numerous toilet facilities.
The Rottnest Island Authority also offers a number of specially designed chalets to help make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. There are also wheelchairs, electric scooters (gophers) and beach wheelchairs are available for hire and the Island has a wheelchair compatible shuttle bus for access to and from the ferries.
Rottnest Island Authority supports the “You’re Welcome WA Access Initiative” an initiative developed by the Disability Services Commission (DSC) in partnership with the Western Australian Local Government Association, Ministerial Advisory Council on Disability, People with Disabilities (WA) Inc, Tourism Western Australia, ACROD WA, NICAN WA and the City of Perth.
Disability Access and Inclusion Plan
The Rottnest Island Authority has also made a number of commitments to continue to provide and improve services and facilities for people with disabilities, their families and carers.
A Disability Access and Inclusion Plan 2012-2017 (DAIP) was adopted in July 2012 and provides a planned approach to progressively improve access to services provided.
There are two ferry operators that travel to Rottnest Island. Rottnest Express departs from Northport (Rous Head) and BShed in Fremantle, and Rottnest Fast Ferries departs from Hillarys Boat Harbour. Alternatively, smaller groups may wish to travel by air.
The Star Flyte Express is equipped to enable easy access for wheelchairs and we ask all passengers travelling in wheelchairs to ensure that tickets are booked on this vessel only. Star Flyte departs from Perth (Barrack Street) and North Port (Rous Head) terminals.
Phone: 1300 467 688 (1300 GO ROTTO)
Rottnest Fast Ferries
The MV Seaflyte vessel departs from Hillarys Boat Harbour and is fully wheelchair and pram accessible so you will have no problem travelling to and from Rottnest.
Phone: +61 8 9246 1039
There are several options available to make getting around a breeze on Rottnest Island:
Bus and Train Tours
If you use a wheel chair and would like to go on one of our bus tours, or travel to one of the outer bays, please call Adams on +61 8 6270 6007 in advance to confirm the availability of the bus with wheelchair lift. The train to Oliver Hill Gun Battery is accessible for people in wheelchairs, but the tunnels below the guns have many stairs in a narrow stairway. The beautiful view from the top of Oliver Hill and the Rottnest Voluntary Guides' commentary can still be enjoyed.
Motorised wheelchairs are available to hire from Rottnest Island Pedal & Flipper, phone +61 8 9292 5105. Manual wheelchairs are available to borrow (with a small bond payable) from the Visitor Centre, phone +61 8 9372 9730.
A range of disability bikes (see images) and trailers AVALIABLE SOON (with bond payable) from Rottnest Island Pedal & Flipper:
Rehatri 20” Trike
Rehatri Handcycle Recumbent Trike
Customised 16” Trike
WIKE Special Needs Trailer - Large
Phone +61 8 9292 5105 for details.
Guide dogs are of course welcome on the Island.
For further information and assistance please contact the Rottnest Island Rangers in the first instance, +61 8 9372 9788 or +61 8 9372 9797. Please also remember to advise your date of arrival to your ferry operator, and to Rottnest Island Reservations on +61 8 9432 9111 if staying in Rottnest Island accommodation
There are several wheelchair compatible accommodation options available on Rottnest Island:
Rottnest Island Authority
The Rottnest Island Authority offer eight units that have been renovated for ease of access for people with mobility impairment. These are located in Central Thomson Bay (2 units), Geordie Bay (1 unit), Longreach Bay (3 units), Bathurst (1 unit) and Thomson Bay South (1 unit). Full details of facilities in these units can be emailed or faxed to you upon request. Please call Rottnest Island Reservations on 9432 9111 (1800 111 111 for WA Country callers) or email your enquiry.
Further accommodation is available at Kingstown Environmental Education Centre. Please call +61 8 9372 9780. Accommodation bookings may be made up to a year in advance for unit accommodation and six months for Kingstown Barracks, and to avoid disappointment it is suggested that bookings be made no less than three months in advance of the date required.
- Kingstown Accessible Accommodation Governors Circle 109 - 5 Bedrooms, sleeps 18 people (only bunk bed configuration)
- Thomson Bay Central Accessible Accommodation Premium 316 - No Views, 3 Bedrooms, sleeps 6 people (included in rate) with a maximum of 9
- Thomson Bay Central Accessible Accommodation Premium 329 - No Views, 3 Bedrooms, sleeps 6 people (included in rate) with a maximum of 9
- Thompson Bay South Accessible Accommodation Premium View 218 - 3 Bedrooms, sleeps 6 people (included in rate) with a maximum of 9
- Bathurst Accessible Accommodation Premium View 544 - 2 Bedrooms, sleeps 4 people (included in rate) with a maximum of 6
- Geordie Bay Accessible Accommodation Premium View 948 - 2 Bedrooms, sleeps 4 people (included in rate) with a maximum of 6
- Longreach Accessible Accommodation Premium View 812 - 2 Bedrooms, sleeps 4 people (included in rate) with a maximum of 6
- Longreach Accessible Accommodation Premium View 823 - 2 Bedrooms, sleeps 4 people (included in rate) with a maximum of 6
- Longreach Accessible Accommodation Premium View 824 - 3 Bedrooms, sleeps 6 people (included in rate) with a maximum of 9
Hotel Rottnest is a hotel with main bar, alfresco dining restaurant, accommodation and function marquee. The Hotel offers no designated accessible rooms; however wheelchairs can manoeuvre through the doors and rooms. View Hotel Rottnest specifications.
The Rottnest Lodge offers a licensed restaurant, a public bar, a cocktail bar and a tropical pool. The Rottnest Lodge has two ‘wheelchair friendly’ rooms available, both non smoking, plus on-arrival assistance including wheelchair transport when prearranged. View Rottnest Lodge specifications.
Access to Facilities
Within the Thomson Bay settlement there is ramp access to the Visitor Centre. Wheelchair accessible toilets are located behind Digby Drive near the shopping precinct, on Henderson Street, and also close to Dome Café and Hotel Rottnest on Bedford Avenue.
Restaurants, cafes and bars
The Dome Cafe, situated in Thomson Bay with beautiful views back to Fremantle and Perth, cater for people with a mobility impairment. Access to Dome Café is at the same level as the footpath and the Dome Cafe is accessed by a ramp from the footpath. The Hotel Rottnest beer garden is on street level, making it accessible for everyone. There is an access ramp to the Main Bar when entering through the main gates, Bedford Avenue.
Beach access and hire equipment
There is ocean access via a ramp into the water at Thomson Bay, north of the Visitor Centre. At Geordie and Longreach Bay there are steps leading down to the beach and no ramp. Beach access in general is difficult for people with mobility impairment, however Rottnest Island Authority is continually implementing planned improvements over time.
Disabled access printable information
Download information about disabled access on Rottnest Island in printable formats (Word):
- Aboriginal Cemetery
- Aristos Waterfront Rottnest
- Army Jetty Precinct
- Bathurst Tennis Court
- Bedford Avenue Unisex Accessible Toilet
- Pedal & Flipper
- Thomson Bay North Boathouse Beach Shelter
- Rottnest Island Family Fun Park
- Country Club and Golf Course
- Foreshore Walk
- Geordie Bay Beach Shelter
- Geordie Bay Square
- Henderson Avenue Change Rooms and Unisex Toilet
- Heritage Common and Lomas Cottage
- Kingstown Beach Access
- Kingstown Discovery Centre
- Kingstown Tennis Court
- Main Jetty
- Nursing Post
- Picture Hall
- Police Station
- Fremantle Visitor Centre
- Quokka Information Centre
- Rottnest Voluntary Guided Walks
- Thomson Bay Settlement Shopping Mall
- The Basin
- The Salt Store and Exhibition Centre
- Thomson Bay North Accessible Beach Facilities
- Thomson Bay South Jetty
- Vincent Way Lookout
- Rottnest Island Visitor Centre
- Visitor Centre Unisex Accessible Toilet